Tuesday, February 2, 2010

So... "What Is Your Story? Tell Me Your Story"

Recently I was at a brunch with a group of new found friends that gathered to celebrate the anticipated arrival of a new baby girl. As I sat around the dining room table, enjoying a cup of coffee, and taking pleasure in the delicious French toast, quiche and array of fresh fruits on my plate, one of the ladies sat next to me. After a few minutes of idle conversation she asked me …

“What Is Your Story”?
 
Time stood still, and I was sure I looked like a deer in headlights amidst the fog that was in my head. No one had ever asked me anything so personal? What did this stranger really know about me, what had she heard? Could she possibly know any of my secrets? I realized at the moment I didn’t know anything about her, though we’ve been at Bible study together for two years. We’ve shared private prayers together, we’ve laughed, we’ve cried, we’ve hugged and we’ve learned from one another and yet knew so little about each other. As I sat there speechless with a fork in my hand, for what seemed like an entire lifetime, I heard her say again… “You know, tell me your story, what are you all about. What makes you tick?”
At that moment, as I sat there in silence and realized how could I, possibly verbalize the fragments of what had once been my shattered life over a cup of coffee. Could I trust this friend with my inner most secrets? Was she just being polite? As I came to grips with the realization how brief my life here on earth is and that each moment we have is but a breath. I found myself freely sharing my story. My story of redemption and about God’s unfailing love demonstrated towards me through my wonderful grandmother who raised me after she had raised her own family.
Always a very private person, I amazed myself speaking of all the good things in my life. I felt as though my words were on fire. In speaking of the good things in my life, I realized how blessed my life has been because of my rich ancestry and through God’s amazing grace. Though by this time, by the look on my friends face, I’m sure she regretted asking me, “What is your story”.
Thank you to my friend for your genuine and candid approach that made me stop and evaluate what is my story. I discovered something wonderful and glorious that morning. We ALL have a wonderful story when we are part of God’s eternal family. You CAN trust all your secrets to Him.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to be a shy person, thinking surely other people don't want to hear MY story. You've made me think that maybe what I need to remember a little more often is that MY story is a tiny piece of HIS story and my willingness to share it just might end up giving him glory! How wonderful to have friends, like you, who are willing to open up and encourage us to do the same. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roberta. I am enjoying your blog very much! Looking forward to reading your book reviews too!

    ReplyDelete