Thursday, February 18, 2010

RIP My Friend, RH "Bob" Hawkins, Sr. (1922-2010)


This week I learned that one of my bosses from a long time ago graduated from this life and is now at home with his Lord and Savior after a long and arduous struggle with Parkinson’s disease. I don’t begin to understand why people come into our lives, sometimes for a season, but this remarkable man and his wife, Shirley made a deep and lasting impression on my life. His dedication to “helping the hurts of people” was clearly evident in his enthusiastic approach to doing the work of the Lord. Some people are chosen to serve and honor the Kingdom, and Bob was one of them. He sowed many, many seeds through the thousands of books he published and sold with unsurpassed passion. I can see his great smile and the way his face lit up with excitement when a galley came in. That season, when I went to work for him at Harvest House Publishers, I was one of those broken and hurting people. I was able to see and learn more about Gods unfailing love, and hope that was available to me by God’s grace. Being young, I had no idea what a giant this man was in the Christian publishing industry, all I know is that I am so blessed to have known Bob Hawkins and to be a first hand witness on his bold approach in working on things that are eternal, what an inspiration!


Be strong and steady, always enthusiastic about the Lord’s work,
for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.

- 1 Corinthians 15:58

1 comment:

  1. He sounds like an awesome person. I've been struggling this week with the impression I make in other people's lives and frustrated that their perception of me is not the one I want to portray. Bob sounds like the kind of person I wish I could have been...The person I wish I could be.

    ReplyDelete